George Floyd's death is a brutal reminder of how little we have progressed as a society and country. It is not enough to speak up only when necessary. It is not enough to just post on social media with a 'trending' hashtag. It is not okay that countless families have to suffer the loss of a family member by the hands of those in power and receive no justice. It is not okay that our system allows countless Black lives to be lost. The tragic murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and Breonna Taylor left us heartbroken and angry.
I have decided to turn my anger into action and hope you will join me. I believe that our society is broken and I will do as much as possible to be a part of the change and stand in solidarity with the Black community and with all who suffer from discrimination, injustice and racism. Below are ways you can join me in learning, listening and acting.
SIGN + DONATE
- Demand Justice by signing Color of Change's petition. Join me by Texting FLOYD to 55156
- Demand Justice for George Floyd's family by signing and donating to Change.org's petition. Sign here.
- Support the Floyd family by donating to the official George Floyd Memorial Fund.
- Sign up and get involved in your area to advance equality and justice.
- Demand action from your State Representatives to stop Police Violence. Scroll to the bottom of the page to search for your State Representatives.
- Donate to Campaign Zero and support their efforts in identifying solutions, providing research & data to organizers and policymakers, advocating to end police violence nationwide.
- Fund the Movement and donate to Black Lives Matter.
- Purchase an 'Act Now' sticker - 100% of proceeds will be donated to Black Lives Matter.
LISTEN + LEARN
- FREE Research, studies and historical context from Campaign Zero.
- Read 75 Things White People Can Do For Racial Justice.
- Follow this Lesson Plan on Being an Active Ally of the Black community. What to watch, listen to and read along with more ways to ACT.
SUPPORT BLACK-OWNED BUSINESSES
- Ways you can support Black-Owned Businesses (thank you for sending, Kelly!)
Please stand with me in taking action. I would love to hear from you. What else can I be doing? Please email me.